This Blog Post was originally published on the platform "writelier" (formerly "co-writers" and "200wordsaday"). Sadly the blogging platform was discontinued. I downloaded all my blog posts and prepared them to be republish them here.
Management decided that it would be crucial to have QR- and barcode scanning right inside our app.
Well, with today's phones, everybody has a small scanner always ready. As our software runs in the browser, it should be easy to get a library that can handle QR- and barcodes.
Well, no there isn't. At least I didn't find one library that does both in a good way. I found a good one for "normal" barcodes and a good one for QRCodes.
Because of all the hassle associated with searching and testing such a library, it took me the whole day just to find a suitable one for barcodes.
Tomorrow I will have to take a look at a library for QRCodes.
And then I need to find a way to get them working along with each other, so the customer can hit a button and scan whatever he or she wants. The software has to decide what will happen afterwards.
I should do other stuff, but when management comes up with an urgent idea, it has to be done.
I hope I can finalize the stuff tomorrow, so everything works on Friday when it's presentation day. :)